Employment Taxes & Global Mobility
People are often the most important asset of a business. Hiring the right people and retaining key employees is critical to remaining competitive and essential if you want to grow your business.
You will want to remunerate, incentivise and reward your employees’ as tax efficiently as possible. You may also want to take your business international or seeking to recruit key talent from abroad.
At PKF O’Connor, Leddy & Holmes our team comprises of tax advisory and compliance specialists that can assist you in relation to:
- Employment taxes
- International employment taxes and global mobility
- Employee benefits and incentives
- Share based rewards
- PAYE health checks
- Revenue PAYE Audits
The PAYE system, has been reformed by Revenue and significant changes have been made in respect of employer reporting obligations with effect from 1st January 2019. It is important to have accurate current data, so you can file the correct PAYE returns on time.
Our tax team can assist you with :
1. Employment Taxes
PKF O’ Connor, Leddy & Holmes provides a comprehensive range of advisory services tailored to meet the two principal objectives of employers:
- Identifying potential savings from the costs of employment whilst motivating staff.
- Managing risk in this area effectively.
We offer expertise in the following areas:
- Design and implementation of tax effective remuneration policies.
- Advice regarding the tax and policy issues arising in relation to termination payments.
- PAYE and PRSI health checks.
- Revenue intervention assistance.
With on-going changes in tax law and Revenue guidance, a business should undertake a PAYE review on an annual basis. An error that is repeated in monthly payroll submissions, can become a costly error, as the Revenue can review the prior 4 years.
2. International Employment Taxes & Global Mobility
In today’s globalised economy mobile employees have become commonplace. With this comes a wide range of complex tax and social security issues. Through the PKF international network we can offer an all-encompassing approach towards international employment taxes. We can offer expert advice in the following areas:
- Minimisation of the tax and social security implications of an international assignment.
- Advising on global mobility tax reliefs that may be available.
- Providing advice on Short Term Business Visitors coming to Ireland
- Evaluating the employee benefits package to examine whether it is being delivered tax effectively.
- Hypothetical tax and tax equalisation policy advice.
- Calculation of employer and employee social security liabilities.
- Guidance on withholding issues.
3. Share Based Reward Schemes
Share based reward schemes can be of valuable assistance to an employer. Such plans can provide tax efficient remuneration for employees and ensure to also incentivise employees in line with the business.
Some of the share reward schemes that we advise on include:
- Unapproved share option schemes.
- Flowering share schemes.
- Forfeiture shares
- Restricted stock units.
- Clog schemes.
Our experienced team can help you design the most appropriate plan for your business objectives and prepare the company valuation. We can also provide all company secretarial requirements in respect of share schemes and liaise with employer’s legal team in connection with the shareholder’s agreement. Please contact Catherine McGovern or Mark Cunningham from our tax team for further assistance in this area.